Monday, August 20, 2012

Caledonian Sleeper

This whole trip started when I found the Bargain Berths offered on the Caledonian Sleeper service to Scotland. At the beginning of the year I decided that for the moment I'd like to try travelling on the surface of this planet rather than high above it, so this train is ideal.

So here I am sitting on my berth on a train that has just gently pulled out of Euston in a cabin all to myself because my cabin-share had sorted out a booking mistake so she could share with her husband.

I'm looking forward to a restful night followed by a snack breakfast brought to me when we get to Glasgow - all for the same price as a B&B. Actually, if I'd been more organised or less particular about dates then it could have been as little as £19!

I love travelling by sleeper train - although this is absolute luxury compared to my experiences on Russian or Indian sleepers which are each in a class of their own. My cabin is tiny - just enough room for the 2 bunks and to stand next to it - no room for big suitcases which go in their own store down the carriage. There is a wash basin cunningly hidden under a folding table, and there is a folding shelf over my bed for when breakfast arrives.

A great part of this trip is that I had a pretty much a whole normal Sunday before the journey began and I started it by walking from home to Romsey station. All of London must have been at Weymouth for sunshine on the beach... the train to Waterloo was as full as a weekday commuter train, but with people wearing sunburn not suits.

My duvet beckons me.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home